Ponsonby Parish Council Minutes - January 2013
Minutes of the meeting of the Parish Council held at 7.00pm in Calderbridge Village Hall on 15 th January 2013.
Present: Mr R Stewart, Mr D Birks, Mr R Jones, Mr R Munro, DA Polhill (Clerk)
01/13Apologies: Mr A Rigg, Declarations of Interest. None.
02/13Minutes of the previous meeting. These were approved.
03/13 Actions and Matters arisingfrom the Minutes.
- The council had written to NDA expressing its concerns with various maters identified in the recently issued National Audit Office report. NDA had replied saying that it was expecting some follow-up from DECC and when that arrived they would respond to the Parish Council accordingly.
- A note from Mr Cosgrove said that he was going to try and get another set of traffic counts, the previous series being disrupted by weather and traffic restrictions. It was felt that any count should wait until the present roadworks on the Fell Road had been completed. It was agreed that his offer of a meeting to discuss various traffic/road issues should be taken up and The Clerk would arrange a date.
- Mr Stewart said that he had now accumulated information regarding the development of a Parish Plan. Various funding sources were available but he considered that as a first step the council should apply to the Copeland Community Fund (£300) as officer assistance was also available via the Mid-Copeland Group. This was agreed.
04/13 Parish Council Representation.
- West Cumbria Site Stakeholders Group. Mr Stewart said that he no longer wanted to continue being the representative. Mr Jones volunteered to take his place and The Clerk was asked to inform the WCSSG secretary of the change .
- Mid-Copeland Group . The council were allowed 2 representatives to this group. Mr Birks and Mr Jones were nominated.
- Broadband . A recent update had been received from Cumbria CC but there was little evidence of progress.
Mid-Copeland – The next had been arranged for 15 th January which clashed with the Parish Council meeting .
NDA - A note had been received from NDA regarding the letter sent by the Parish Council referencing the report by the National Audit Office into shortcomings at Sellafield. It said they were awaiting feedback from Decc and would respond to the council after receiving that.
CALC (Copeland) Executive - A meeting had been arranged for 21 st January at Blackbeck.
- Payments of £53.33 – (Cheque No 100388 to Mr Polhill for Clerk’s services and £11.60 – (Cheque No 100389) to HMRC for PAYE were approved.
- 2013-14 Budget . The Clerk distributed copies of receipts and payments for the financial year to date and a discussion document to enable a budget to be agreed and the precept set. He explained that Government had completely changed the rules regarding Local Government finance, which now had to deal with a situation whereby although there was no cap set on an individual Parish Council precept, the total precept for all the parishes had to be included within the spending limit for the District Council, which was capped. The nett effect of this was to enhance the level of Council tax and by way of partial mitigation each Parish Council now received a grant from the District Council (in Ponsonby’s case this was £410). After discussion it was agreed to adopt the budget set out below and set the precept at £4200, a reduction on the previous year of ~10%.
07/13 Public Participation. There were no members of the public present.
08/13 Questions councillors may wish to raise.
Mr Jones - reported that the Police were no longer putting out the Speed Indicating Devices (SIDS) as there had been numerous cases of theft of batteries and vandalism of the signs. It was agreed that this should be referred to the Cold Fell Action Group.
He also drew attention to the recent notice put out by Cumbria Highways which announced closure of the Fell Road and gave alternative routes but completely ignored the fact that people who lived within the Fell Road boundary could not adhere to the notice. The Clerk was asked to raise this anomaly with Cumbria Highways.
09/13 Date of next meeting . It was decided that the council should programme for monthly meetings in future (on the second Tuesday of each month) but only call the meeting if there was sufficient business to discuss. The next meeting would be 12 th February.