Ponsonby Parish Council Minutes - January 2014

  • Minutes of the meeting of the Parish Council held at 7.00pm in Calderbridge Village Hall on 14 th January 2014.

     

    Present: Mr R Stewart, , Mr G Crayston, Mr A Rigg, Mr R Jones, Mr R Munro, DA Polhill (Clerk)

     

    01/14Apologies: Mr D Birks Declarations of Interest. None.

     

    02/14Minutes of the previous meeting. These were approved.

     

    03/14 Matters arising from previous meeting .

     

     

     

     

     

     

    04/14 Parish Council Representation.

      Cumbria CC – Budget meeting with CALC. The Clerk said he had attended this meeting as a CALC County Executive. The County Council had explained the extent of the budget savings which were being forced on them and outlined many of the in-house reviews which were taking place. The CALC representatives expressed particular concern at those proposals which would have the biggest and most direct effect on rural communities, in particular removal of support grants for rural bus services, removal of support grants for under-19’s for attending college, and a reduction in the frequency of verge cutting which could have serious safety implications as well as having an adverse effect on tourism.

      Cumbria Highways – Meet and Greet . The Chairman had attended and been impressed with the quantity and quality of new equipment which had been purchased to enable improved services to be implemented. Decisions had also been taken to define the various County highways areas, and the individual officers assigned to those areas. Further information was to follow but had not been received to date. It was also proposed to reintroduce the Highwayman scheme which provided a valuable link between individual parishes and the Highways Team and which had worked well in its previous incarnation.

    Village Hall. Mr Jones said that a start had been made on redecoration of the Hall thanks to a grant of £4k obtained through Mr Clarkson. He also said that consideration was being given to maintenance of the shrubbery surrounding the Hall, as this had become somewhat overgrown. The Clerk offered to contact Mr Davies to provide an estimate, which if acceptable would enable the work to be done alongside that for the Parish Council in the area by the Church.

     

    05/14 Correspondence

     

    06/14 Finance

     

    a) Payments requested :

    Robinson’s & Co for PAYE Services £84.00 Cheque No 100427

    HMRC for PAYE £13.60 Cheque No 100429

     

    b) Clerk’s salary and expenses. (11/12/2013 – 14/1/2014) £59.13 Cheque No 100428

     

    c) 2014-15 Budget. The Clerk said that a seminar had been set up by Copeland BC to explain the Council Tax Support Grant and what it would mean for parishes on 15 th January. He would be attending. Since the information from that seminar was crucial to enabling the Parish Council to set its budget it was decided that the Chairman and The Clerk would draft a budget and a precept which would be copied to all members for consideration.

    .

     

    07/14 Public Participation. There were no members of the public present.

     

    08/14 Questions councillors may wish to raise.

     

    Mr Jones – Reported that a meeting had been arranged at Yottenfews with Sellafield Ltd to discuss the situation regarding the access to the beach by the temporary bridge. He also said that a Community Led Planning session was being held on 26 th February in the Village Hall from 1.00 to 5.00pm.

     

    Mr Munro – Said that he had received favourable comments regarding the development at the woodyard. Other members agreed that it had not turned out to be as dominant and stark as first feared and hoped that this was due to the comments made by the Parish Council on the original plans.

     

    09/14 Date of next meeting . Tuesday 11 th February 2014

    Back to index