Parish Council Minutes - February 2012

  • Minutes of meeting held 8th February 2012 in the Supper Room Gosforth Public Hall - 7.00pm

     Present : Dr Hutson; Messrs Gray, McKinley (Chairman), Norman, Rae, Wright;Mrs Gallery-Strong.

     

    1. Apologies: MrJacob, Mrs Jackson, Mr Walton.

    2. Declarations of interest . None.

     

    3. Chairman's opening remarks. None as he considered it was a heavy agenda.

     

    4. Minutes of the previous meeting held on 11th January 2012. Subject to an amendment to Item 8 at the request of Dr Hutson (see below), these were approved (Proposed Mr Norman, seconded Dr Hutson).

    Amendment: Dr Hutson – Reported that the press statement from the last meeting of the EHJSC had not been issued but he would forward this as soon as it became available. There had been some controversy over insignificantly low levels of activity in a drain at Seascale (probably relating back to an incident involving contaminated birds). Actual site discharge levels had not significantly changed from the previous year.

     

    5. Actions arising from the minutes.  

    1. Check extent of Council insurance ref Jubilee Event. Action – The Clerk

    Action ongoing.

    2. Follow up costs with Mr Garner for alternative scheme for Carpark lighting. Action ongoing. Action – The Clerk

    3. Speak to Mr Shubrook ref Gosforth Hill footpath. Action – Mr Norman.

    Action ongoing.

    4. Assess interactive mapping service. Action – Mr Wright

    Action ongoing

    5. Refer Playing Field insurance issues back to the P’Fields Committee. Action - Mr Norman Action ongoing – Awaiting a reply.

    6. Draft letter ref Playing Field access . Action – The Clerk

    Action complete – See Item 7c.

    7. Arrange a meeting of the Bleng Forest project Steering Group (Late January) Action – Mr Walton

    Action complete – meeting held on 27 th January. A report will be attached to the March minutes.

    8. Inform Copeland BC of 2012-13 precept. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete.

    9. Write to Forestry Commission and Land Agent ref Newton Manor woodland. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete – A reply indicated that the Forestry Commission were also concerned at the lack of progress in replanting and were to put pressure on NDA.  

    10. Put Traffic Plan on February agenda. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete – See Item 7b.

    11. Provide response to CCC consultation on Recycling Centres and Budget.

    Action complete Action – Mr McKinley, The Clerk

     

    6. Financial Matters.

    a) Monthly financial statement. This was approved (Proposed Mr Norman, seconded Mr Wright).

    b) Concurrent Services. The Clerk said that he had received confirmation that payments from Copeland BC for 2010-11 would be paid – a total of £584.50.

     

    7. Main Business

    a) Joint Newsletter with Ponsonby PC. The suggestion had been made by Ponsonby PC that a shared newsletter would be helpful in getting information to a wider audience, particularly in relation to MRWS. It was considered that as only 1 edition of the Gosforth Parish Newsletter had been produced more time was needed for the system to bed in and more experience to be gained. The suggestion could be considered at some future date.

    b) Local Traffic Plan. After some discussion it was decided that members should use the maps provided to indicate their suggestions and return them to The Clerk who would then collate them and arrange a meeting with Mr Melville.

    c) Playing Field Access Letter. With minor amendments this was agreed and copies would be sent to all Playing Field neighbouring properties.

    d) MRWS Partnership report – Draft response. Members’ comments included: too long, too detailed, not supported by facts, too anti-, emotional in parts, not covering key matters which parishioners may consider important, no mention of a referendum, blight etc. The Chairman reminded the meeting that this was a response to the MRWS Partnership Report, and not on the merits of whether the Parish Council was in favour or not of a Geological Repository. The Parish Council position regarding a Repository had not changed since the issue of its Position Statement in February 2009. Since the Partnership Report consisted wholly of a series of its opinions he considered that it was acceptable to reply accordingly. It was agreed that a second draft should be prepared which gave a concise summary response to each chapter of the Report, followed by more detail. Members were asked to submit their versions of what they wanted to see as the summary responses to The Chairman and Clerk before 15 th February.

     

    8. Representative's reports

    a) CALC Copeland executive (The Clerk). The minutes of the meeting would be circulated.

    b) Prof D Smythe meeting at Cockermouth. The Chairman gave a resume of the meeting which demonstrated a deep knowledge of geology in general and West Cumbria in particular.

    c) Bleng Crossings Group. The group had met on 27 th January.Mr Walton was not present to present his report. The Clerk would copy it to all members.

    d) Cycleway (Mr Gray). Mr Gray reported that there had been 2nd thoughts about the original route due to the wet nature of the land in one area. He had visited the relevant landowners who were willing to discuss possible route changes with the Group. There was to be another group meeting next week with Cumbria County Council and Sustrans. A key requirement was for Outline Planning Permission to be obtained. Mr Rae said that he felt that the appointment of a Project Manager would help in moving things along.

     

    9. Planning Matters The Clerk reported that LDNPA had approved the following applications:

    a) Harecroft Hall change of use.

    b) 68 Meadowfield extension.

    10 Correspondence.

     NW Air Ambulance (NE). This request for funds would be responded to by offering advertising space in the newsletter and the web-site.

    CBC Dog Control Orders. The Clerk said that he had received confirmation that the whole of the Playing Field would be included as a Dog Exclusion Zone at Copeland BC review of the Dog Control Orders in March.

    Mouchel Layby improvements. Noted.

     CCC Bus stop infrastructure. The Clerk would respond to the information sought.

    Police – Change of PCSO. The Clerk had been informed that PCSO Bradley was being moved to Millom (which includes Ravenglass and Eskdale). A replacement PCSO will be assigned to an area which includes Gosforth in the near future.

    FLAG Timetable for Carlisle to Barrow trains. Dr Hutson offered to assess the contents and decide where it should be made available.

    CALC Circular February. The Circular referred to a Government sponsored survey on the nation’s forests. Members were advised to seek further information from the web-site: www.defra.gov.uk/forestrypanel.

    1 st Responders Group. A letter had been received outlining changes in the way the service would be delivered in future. The clerk was asked to write a letter of support for the Group and thanks for the past service.

    Cumbria County Council – Minerals & Waste consultation. The results of this were to be submitted to Government for approval. It was noted that the proposal for a LLW disposal site (CO32) on the south side of Sellafield site which would have affected Ponsonby, Seascale & Gosforth parishes had been withdrawn.

    LDNPA – Changing of boundaries. To comply with Government requirements the boundaries were to be realigned by digital mapping. In the majority of cases this was minimal eg. from the middle of the A595 to the landward edge, and would not affect any properties within Copeland.

    MRWS Partnership – Public Consultation. The Partnership was consulting on the questions to be posed as part of the ongoing public consultation on its MRWS Report. The Clerk said he had looked at the format and content of the questions and was appalled. Since the questions were to be posed by telephone he considered that many people would refuse to participate. He said he would draft a reply to the Chairman for consideration.

     

    11 Public Participation. There were no members of the public present at this point.

     

    12 Questions Councillors wish to raise.

    Dr Hutson – Informed the meeting that on 22 nd February Westlakes U3A were hosting a meeting on New-build at St Mary’s Church.

    - also asked what progress was being made with transfer of ownership of the carpark. The Clerk replied that the matter was still in the hands of Copeland BC. He had attempted (again) to find out the position but had received no reply. He would write directly to the Director concerned.

    Mr Rae – Asked that Actions which emanated from the Parish Plan be monitored periodically via the agenda.

    Mr Gray – Reported that potholes in the road at the edge of the carpark were causing damage to the carpark itself. This would be reported to the Highways Dept.

    Mrs Gallery-Strong – Asked for an update on the Jubilee celebrations. Agreed to ask Mr Hobson to attend the next meeting or provide a summary of the situation.

    - referred to the quantity of dog-muck in the village. Agreed to contact the Dog Warden to monitor the situation.

    - asked about getting street lights repaired on Ellerslie Park. The Clerk said that this could be reported to the Highways Hotline but it was important to get the affected pole numbers before doing so.

    - commented on parking on both sides of Hardingill which restricted road width. Mr Wright said he would monitor this to see if there was a continual problem.

    Mr Norman – Asked if anyone knew what construction work was being conducted from Low Bridge Petton farm. It was thought that this was something to do with the the replacement of the water supply from Waswater to Sellafield. Mr Rae offered to find out details.

    Note: Since the meeting it has been confirmed that the work is part of the water supply replacement but concerns at this time new electrical cabling. The Clerk has been contacted by Sellafield Ltd with an offer to explain matters more fully.

     

    13 In Camera. None.

     

    There being no other business the meeting was closed at 9.15pm.

    Back to main page