Parish Council Minutes - February 2013

  • Minutes of meeting held 13th February 2013 in the Supper Room Gosforth Public Hall - 7.30pm

     

    Present : Dr Hutson; Messrs. Gray, Jacob, McKinley (Chairman), Norman, Walton, Wright; Mr Parker joined the council having been recently co-opted.

     15 members of the public were also present specifically to provide an input to Item 7b.

    1. Apologies: Mr Ancell, Mr Rae, Mrs Gallery-Strong (All work commitments).

    2. Declarations of interest . None

     

    3. Chairman's opening remarks. The Chairman welcomed Mr Parker who had been co-opted via a recent ballot, as a member of the council.

    He went on to say that he would be unable to attend the next meeting on March 13 th and as Mr Wright (Vice-chairman) would not be available the council members would need to elect a Chairman prior to the start of the meeting.

    The Chairman then said that Agenda Item 7b would be brought forward to enable

    those members of the public (residents) who were attending specifically to raise issues with the Land Allocation Plan, to present their case. After listening to and asking questions of the residents the council unanimously (Proposed Mr Wright, seconded Mr McKinley) resolved:

    That Gosforth Parish Council formulates a request to LDNPA, that the Land Allocation at Ellerlie Park/Walkmill Gardens, designated GF 01 H, be revisited on the grounds that flood risk to this area has been inadequately understood and assessed.

    Clerk’s note. A copy of the sunsequent letter to LDNPA is attached to these minutes.

     

    4. Minutes of the previous meeting held on 9th January 2013.

    These were approved (Proposed Mr Walton, seconded Mr Jacob).

     

    5. Actions arising from the minutes.

    1. Produce list of local businesses. Action ongoing. Action – Dr Hutson, Mr Norman, Mr Ancell.

    2. Discuss with the Carpark Group the provision of a new Tourism Board. Action ongoing. Action - Mr Wright.

    3. Provide notice for Honesty Box. Action – Mr Wright.

    Action complete.

    4. Provide The Clerk with details of payments for Cycleway Drop-in event. Action ongoing. Action – Mr Gray.

    5. Contact Copeland E&H Dept ref Playing Field pavilion. Action – The Clerk.

    Action complete – Information was being used to assess the risks of Legionella at the Sports Pavilion.

    6. Consult with Cumbria CC and Copeland BC on Emergency Plan. Action – The Clerk.

    Action completeThe Mid-Copeland Group would be used as a vehicle for gathering information and preparing an outline plan.

    7. Obtain information from Cumbria CC Ranger on footpath at Drigg Cross. Action – The Clerk.

    Action complete – the project, to complete the link in the footpath, would be handled via the Mid-Copeland Group as Drigg & Carleton and Seascale PC’s needed to be involved.

    8. Liaise on and update budget proposals ref Playing Field and distribute to members. Action – Mrs Gallery-Strong, The Clerk.

    Action complete – Budget had been completed and Copeland BC had been informed of the required precept.

    9. Enact the Co-option selection process. Action – The Clerk.

    Action complete – Mr Parker had been co-opted.

    10. Inform LDNPA & Copeland BC ref Planning applications for Steelfield Cottage and Hallsenna barn. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete.

    11. Respond to Mr Waite ref land allocation at Walkmill and put item on February agenda. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete – See Item 7b below.

    12. Contact United Utilities ref work behind Meadowfield. Action – The Clerk

    Action discontinued – Contractors had left site.

    13. Put Action Plan review on next agenda. Action – The Clerk

    Action transferred to next meeting as Mr Rae was not present.

     

    6. Financial Matters.

    a) Monthly financial report. This was approved (Proposed Mr Jacob, seconded Mr Norman).

     

    7. Main Business

    a) Parish Action Plan review. As Mr Rae was not present this item was carried over to the March meeting.

    b) LDNPA Land Allocation Plan. See Agenda Item 3 above.

    c) MRWS. The Chairman summed up the situation following the decision of the County Council not to proceed with the present process of finding a site for a radioactive waste repository in Allerdale and Copeland. Although it was now common knowledge that the County Council Scrutiny Committee was calling-in the associated papers it was felt that this would have no effect on the outcome. The Government’s Environment Minister had issued a statement saying that Cumbria would no longer be considered as a suitable area for further consideration. Accordingly for the time being the Nuclear Group would hold a watching brief on events, although it intended to send a letter to the Leader of the County Council thanking it for taking the decision it did in the interests of Cumbria as a whole, and in the face of considerable pressure from vested interests.

     

    8. Representative's reports

     a) Bleng Forest Project. Mr Walton said that following discussions with the landowners of the footpath to Bleng Forest the project is now confidsent that it can deliver the original scope. The delays are likely to mean that project work will clash with forestry operations and so will need to be undertaken in the next financial year. The three main funders are being contacted to determine if funding can be carried over. Assuming a positive response it is hoped that the bulk of the groundwork will be completed by the end of the summer.

    b) Cycleway Mr Gray said that there was little to report in terms of progress since the last meeting other than that the land acquisition was proceeding.

    c) Update on purchase of Carpark. The Clerk said that he had received further information from Copeland BC which had been sought to answer specific questions regarding the routing of the sewer outfall from the toilet block and an assurance on an associated wayleave. The information appeared to be satisfactory but had been passed on to the council’s solicitor for confirmatory advice. A copy of the contract (amended following the meeting of the Chairman and Clerk with the Copeland BC solicitor) was still awaited. He had asked for this to be hastened. Mr Gray asked The Clerk to provide a short summary for inclusion in the next newsletter.

    d) Neighbourhood Forum. Dr Hutson said that there had been a presentation by the Head of the new Northumbria NHS Trust on the re-building of Whitehaven Hospital which was going ahead. The projected reduction in the number of beds would be less than what had been announced previously. Cubria County Council had said that there were no present proposals to close local Libraries but they were consulting on rationalising changes to opening hours. Locally there was to be a meeting arranged to gain support for the setting-up of a Friends of Gosforth Library Group.

    e) Mid-Copeland Group. Mr Walton said that the group would take up matter of the footpath from Drigg to Hallsenna, which had no right of way at Drigg Cross. The group is also considering inviting relevant officers from the County and District Councils and the Police to discuss issues around local emergency plans. Wasdale Parish informed the meeting about plans to improve visitor experience, including renovating the Old School House to provide public toilets and improved parking.

    f) Public Hall. Mr Jacob said that a Table-top Sale had been arranged for 9 th March. He also drew attention to the state of the Supper Room where water ingress was causing problems and would require attention, which could be expensive.

    g) Seascale Clinic Patients Group. Mr Jacob said that a new method of appointments had been introduced which increased the options available to patients eg. Appointment at the Clinic, Doctor or Nurse visit, telephone response from Doctor etc.

     

     9. Planning Matters.

     a) Replacement of wooden louvres on the BT Telephone Exchange with a metal cowl.

     

    There were no objections.

     

    b) Tree Preservation Order No 285 – Removal of 2 lower brancheson beech tree T1 at Fell View.

     

    There were no objections.

     

    c) The Clerk reported - that planning permission had been granted by LDNPA to a steel-framed portal building to cover the yard at Mill Farm; an agricultural barn at Bleng Fell; and a change of use from a field to a horse exercise area at Whinnerah. Copeland BC had granted permission for the erection of a steel portal building as an equipment store at Hallsenna.

     

    10 Correspondence.

     a) Letter from Seascale PC ref possible merger of newsletters. Mr Gray tabled a paper outlining the relevant costs of production. Those members present showed little enthusiasm for combining the newsletters as primarily it was felt that it was essential to preserve the local nature of matters pertinent to residents. However it was agreed that if Seascale PC wished to discuss the matter in more detail then a suitable meeting would be arranged.

    b) Cumbria Police. The Clerk read out a letter from the Police who wished to inform the Parish Council about the new arrangements for working on the Sellafield site in co-operation with CNC. He would make the arrangements for a future meeting.

     

    11 Public Participation. There were no members of the public present at this point.

     

    12 Questions Councillors wish to raise.

     Mr Gray – asked when the accounts for the Jubilee Committee would be available. The Clerk said that he understood Mrs Gallery-Strong had been keeping the accounts and he would ask her to provide the information to the council.

    Mr McKinley – Noted that the members of the public had arrived for the start of the meeting at 7.00pm. The agenda clearly showed the correct time of 7.30pm but The Clerk was asked to check that the correct time was given in What’s On and the web-site.

     

     13 In Camera. None.

     

     There being no other business the meeting was closed at 9.40pm.

    Back to main page