Parish Council Minutes - July 2012

  • Minutes of meeting held 11th July 2012 in the Supper Room Gosforth Public Hall - 7.00pm

     

    Present : Dr Hutson; Messrs. Ancell, Gray, Jacob, McKinley (Chairman), Norman, Rae, Walton, Mrs Jackson, Mrs Gallery-Strong.

     

    1. Apologies: Mr Wright.

    2. Declarations of interest . None

    3. Chairman's opening remarks. The Chairman introduced Mike Leighton (Carillion) who briefed the council on ways in which his company could contribute towards village projects. He said that the offer was not restricted to the Parish Council but also included any village or community group or organisation. He gave examples of current involvement in projects such as the Viking Way cycleway and Eskmeals Nature Reserve. The creation of a permissive footpath between Steelfield and Boonwood and the upgrading of the Nursery Garden were both suggested as proposals. Mr Leighton said that if some basic project details were sent to him (in the case of the Nursery garden this would be directly by The Nursery) he would put them forward for consideration. Mr Rae and The Clerk would prepare a response. The Chairman thanked Mr Leighton for his attendance and information.

    4. Minutes of the previous meeting held on 13th June 2012. Mr Gray asked that in Item 11 (Public Participation) the sentence regarding the provision of flowers outside the toilets be amended to read that flowers could be providedby any interested party but they would have to be responsible for their maintenance. With this amendment the minutes were approved. (Proposed Mr Jacob, seconded Mr Walton).

    5. Actions arising from the minutes.  

    1. Follow up costs with Mr Garner for alternative scheme for Carpark lighting. Action ongoing. Action – The Clerk

    2. Amend conditions of contract ref toilet opening/closure times with Mrs Holmes. Action ongoing. Action – Mr Norman, The Clerk.

    3. Produce list of local businesses. Action – Dr Hutson

    Action ongoing.

    4. Arrange site visit with United Utilities ref Row Farm. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete – Having had no success with United Utilities on several matters he had contacted Copeland BC Environmental Health Officer and made him aware of the landowner’s concerns.

    5. Contact Copeland BC ref footpath on carpark. Action – Dr Hutson

    Action ongoing – Action placed on The Clerk.

    6. Arrange public meeting ref A595 issues. Action – The Clerk

    Note: This item will be postponed until September.

     

    7. Put Village projects on July agenda for discussion with Mr Leighton. Action complete – See Item 3 above. Action – The Clerk

    8. Arrange meeting of Blengdale Forest Group. Action - Mr Walton

    Action complete (5 th July) – See Representatives Reports below.

    9.Write letters of thanks to members of Jubilee Committee. Action – The Clerk.

    Action ongoing – The names and addresses were now available.

    10. Copy Dr Hazeldine analysis to all members. Action – The Clerk.

    Action complete.

    11. Assess Copeland BC LDF. Action – Mr McKinley.

    Action ongoing.

    12. Assess new Code of Conduct. Action – The Chairman, vice-chairman and The Clerk.

    Action withdrawn as a model code had been produced.

    13. Ask Mr Melville to have unofficial signs removed. Action – The Clerk.

    Action complete – A copy of an instruction to Highways Staff had been sent to The Clerk.

    14. Put ‘Care of Village Seats’ on next agenda. Action – The Clerk.

    Action complete – See Item 7a below.

    15. Progress cardboard recycling. Action – The Clerk.

    Action complete – Copeland BC agreed to provide cardboard recycling.

    16. Get information on Salt Bins. Action – The Clerk.

    Action complete – 2 would be provided on the carpark.

    17. Arrange meeting with Sellafield Ltd ref pipeline installation. Action complete – Meeting took place on 6 th July. Action – The Clerk.

    18. Ask Mr Hayes to instal the Honesty Box. Action – The Clerk.

    Action complete – This would be done in the next few weeks.

     

    6. Financial Matters. The monthly financial statement was presented and approved (Proposed Mr Norman, seconded Mr Gray).

     

    7. Main Business.

    a) Care of village seats (Mr Gray). Mr Gray said that some of the seats were in poor condition and, following a survey, needed a programme of maintenance to be set up. Mr Ancell offered to assist Mr Gray in doing the survey. The Chairman said that the whole issue of Village Care management should be widened to be a community effort. He said that this should be an agenda item and members should bring forward suggestions as to how this could be achieved and more members of the public be involved.

    b) Newsletter – Progress and future (Mrs Jackson). Mrs Jackson said that the July issue had been delayed due to printing difficulties (the local printer had gone out of business) and an alternative had to be found at short notice. She also said that due to work commitments she was having difficulty in co-ordinating the content, in particular the advertising and the event calendar. Mr Ancell volunteered to help with this aspect. The Chairman said that production of the newsletter should not be left to one member as too much work was involved and proposed that the creation of a mini editorial board would be the best way forward. He suggested that members should think of and recommend possible participants and interested individuals. With regard to the newsletter distribution Mr Hosfield volunteered to cover the Whitecroft area.

    c) Feedback from proposed purchase of Carpark (Mr McKinley). The associated documents were still on circulation and had not been seen by all members. The matter would be put on the August agenda.

    8. Representatives Reports.

    Mr Walton – Reported on the Bleng Crossings project. All the necessary funding was in place and a start date for installation of the bridges had been agreed (26 th August) which would take ~3 weeks. It was intended to have an official opening launch event in Spring 2013. The School had been kept involved in the project and had embarked upon various environmental projects.

    Mr Gray – Reported on the Cycleway project (now referred to by officialdom as Viking Way). Land negotiations were proceeding well and more funding had become available from the County Council. Total project costs were estimated to be ~£700K. A decision to proceed would be made towards the end of July.

    Mr Gray also reported on the Broadband project which had been further delayed by the failure of the County Council to agree a contract with a service provider.

    9. Planning Matters.

    Low Boonwood Farm – Enclosure of manure store. No objection.

    Hallsenna Barn - Boat Store & Workshop. No objection.

    The Clerk reported that the barn conversion for holiday accommodation at Bolton Head Farm had been approved by LDNPA.

    10 Correspondence.

    1. CALC – Code of Conduct Guidance. Noted by The Clerk.

     

    1. LDNPA – Western Area officers meeting, Mon 23 rd July, Muncaster Old Laundry – From noon – 18.00.

     

    1. M Birkby – Invite to visit Westminster.

     

    1. K Melville – Copy of an instruction to staff to remove unofficial signs and to update The Clerk on the traffic plan.

     

    1. CALC – July circular . Sent to all members.

     

    1. CALC – Notice of meeting at Hunday Manor 29 th August ref MRWS final report.

     

    1. CCC – Travel Strategy. Noted.

     

    1. CCC – Minerals and Waste consultation. Noted.

     

    11 Public Participation.

    Mr Hosfield said that there was a Lake District working party programmed for 19 th July to stone and turf the footpath near Wind Hall. He also raised the matter of the loss of footpaths at Drigg Cross and from High Boonwood to Bleng Forest. As the Drigg Cross footpath involved Seascale parish and it was thought that the footpath to Bleng Forest was not a registered path the Chairman asked him to take the matter up with Mr Jacob, the Ward councillor.

     

    12 Questions Councillors wish to raise.

    Mr McKinley – Start time for Parish Council meetings. The Chairman said that the present meeting starting time was inconvenient for those working members or those members who had small children and suggested that future meetings could start at 7.30pm. if members were agreeable. There was no dissent but Dr Hutson raised the matter of a possibl;e breach of Standing Orders and The Clerk said he would prepare an appropriate resolution for the next meeting.

    Mr Gray – Said that it should be recorded that the Chairman ( Mr McKinley) had been elected to be Deputy Chairman of LDNPA and offered congratulations on behalf of the whole council.

    Mr Ancell – Asked if it was the intention of the Parish Council to provide any permanent reminder of the Jubilee such as a tree or plaque. It was thought that this needed more consideration.

    He also reported that a coach had recently emptied its toilet contents on to the carpark. It was too late to take any action now but if in future members could get information such as vehicle registration numbers or logos all incidents would be followed up.

    Dr Hutson – Reported that the drains on the carpark were blocked. The Clerk said that a contractor had been engaged and was booked for the following morning. In response to a further question The Clerk said that the traffic counters which had appeared throughout the village were part of the Highways analysis necessary for preparation of the traffic plan.

    Mrs Jackson – Said that she had been told that spraying in Bleng Forest had caused the death of a pet dog. The Clerk said that he had heard a similar tale but about a different area. He had also been in the Bleng forest recently with his own dogs and saw (and smelled) no evidence of spraying.

    Mr Jacob – Tabled a note from Seascale Clinic inviting people to join a Participation Group.

    Mr Gray – Referred to an entry in the mid-Copeland Group minutes and asked why The Clerk was communicating with the Group. The Clerk said he had responded to a statement made by Mrs Eastwood who was reported as saying that a County Council scheme to bypass the A595 at Calderbridge was going ahead. As he had represented the Parish Council at the meeting with the County Council when all the schemes put forward at the time had been rejected he had queried this statement. A subsequent reply said that Mrs Eastwood had been mis-reported and that what should have been recorded was that a scheme was being considered. This was subsequently corrected in the minutes.

     

    13 In Camera. None.

    There being no other business the meeting was closed at 9.20 pm.

    Back to main page