Minutes of meeting held 11th January 2012 in the Supper Room, Gosforth Public Hall - 7.00pm
Present : Dr Hutson; Messrs. Ancell, Gray, Jacob, McKinley (Chairman), Norman, Walton; Mrs Jackson, Mrs Gallery-Strong.
1. Apologies: Mr Wright ( Holiday), Mr Rae (Work commitments).
2. Declarations of interest . Mr Gray declared an interest in Item 6a.
3. Chairman's opening remarks. The Chairman wished everyone a Happy New Year. He felt that MRWS was going to be a significant item on the council’s agenda for the coming year as the Principal Authorities would probably make a Decision to Participate further with HMG in finding a site in West Cumbria, following the present consultation process. He also hoped that the Bleng Crossings project would come to fruition and lokked forward to production of further editions of the newsletter.
4. Minutes of the previous meeting held on 14th December 2011. These were approved together with the minutes of the special meeting held on 19 th December 2011. (Proposed Mr Walton, seconded Mr Ancell)
5. Actions arising from the minutes.
1. Respond to Mr Kennish ref Broadband champions. The Clerk
2. Check extent of Council insurance ref Jubilee Event. Action – The Clerk
3. Follow up costs with Mr Garner for alternative scheme for Carpark lighting. Action ongoing. Action – The Clerk
4. Speak to Mr Shubrook ref Gosforth Hill footpath. Action – Mr Norman
Action ongoing – Mr Shubrook had been contacted but needed time to consider the suggestion.
5. Assess interactive mapping service. Action – Mr Wright
6. Refer Playing Field insurance issues back to the P’Fields Committee. Action ongoing – Awaiting a reply. Action - Mr Norma
7. Write to Mr Thorn (LDNPA) ref Bleng Forest access. Action – The Clerk
8. Inform CALC of attendees at 7th January conference. Action – The Clerk
9. Draft letter ref Playing Field access . Action – The Clerk
10. Contact Dr Hutson ref Public Hall Committee membership. Action – Mr McKinley
Action complete – Dr Hutson agreed to join the group but found Thursdays, when most meetings were held, difficult to attend.
11. Arrange a meeting of the Bleng Forest project Steering Group (Late January) Action ongoing. Action – Mr Walton
12. Forward Newsletter cost information to The Clerk. Action – Mrs Jackson
Action complete – Relevant letters sent out.
13. Put Traffic Plan on January agenda. Action – The Clerk Action complete – See Item 7c below.
14. Write to NW Air Ambulance ref advertising. Action – The Clerk
15. Ask Mr Davies what construction is proceeding at Gosforth Hall entrance.
Action – Mr McKinley
Action complete – Alterations are to enhance the entrance and driveway. The pedestrian access to the Church would be maintained.
6. Financial matters
a) Monthly Financial Statement. The Clerk pointed out an error on the version which had been sent out in that he had not deducted PAYE from his allowance. The version attached to the minutes had been corrected. The corrected statement was approved (Proposed Dr Hutson, seconded Mr Norman)
b) 2012-13 Budget. At the Chairman’s request The Clerk identified the changes made to the draft budget at the special meeting of 19 th December 2011 and the associated recalculation of the precept. The resolution (below) was then put to the vote and supported unanimously. The Clerk would inform Copeland BC of the level of precept set.
Resolution: That the council agrees the budget set out following the council meeting of 19 th December 2011 and to set a precept of £19130 (no increase on 2011 level).
7. Main Business
a) Broadband Issues. Following the meeting with Mr Kennish, Mr Andrew had confirmed via Mr Norman that he was no longer interested in assisting with the project. Mr Gray said that his assessment to date was that response to the provision of High-speed Broadband was not very positive but thought that more effort was required to inform people of the benefits. The next meeting of the Parish Representatives was on January 18 th and he would attend.
b) Private Woodlands. Mr Norman said that following the large storm way back in 2005 extensive damage had occurred to woodland at Ladywood, Bleawath and Newton Manor. Newton Manor had been clear-felled and NDA had said that they would allow it to regenerate naturally. The area is now overrun with Birch, Gorse and Rhododendron. He suggested that this policy was not in the best interests of wildlife or the environment and it was agreed to enquire from the Land Agent as to the future for this land and to the Forestry Commission to ask what conditions applied to the original licence for felling.
c) Village traffic plan. The Clerk had assembled relevant maps of the village, the current restrictions in force, and a proposal from the County Copuncil for changes to existing restrictions in Gosforth Gate/ Petton Place. Various suggestions were put forward for changes to the existing restrictions. It was agreed that the main area of the village should be covered by a 20mph limit with boundaries from the A595 at Seascale/Gosforth junction and School House, Syke End on the Santon Bridge Road, and Ellerslie on the Wasdale Road. On other matters such as the provision and extent of double yellow lines around The Square and elsewhere along Main Street there were differences of opinion and it was decided for The Clerk to copy the 2 village maps to members who would mark these with their suggestions before a final discussion at the next meeting and then with Mr Melville.
d) Parish Plan. Mr Gray said that he was aiming to have the Plan ready for the printers in early February and asked for any comments to be fed back to him by 21 st January.
e) MRWS Progress. The Chairman said that comments on the MRWS Partnership consultation document must be completed by 23 rd March. The Nuclear Group would be meeting in late January to provide a draft response for consideration by members at the February 8 th council meeting. Based on any comments received a final response would be produced for approval at the March 14 th meeting and onward submission. It was agreed that as many members as possible would attend the MRWS Partnership Drop-in session in the Public Hall on Friday 20 th January (1.00-7.00pm)
8. Representatives Reports.
Dr Hutson – Reported tha tthe press statement from the last meeting of the WCSSG had not been issued but he would forward this as soon as it became available. In brief there had been some controversy over some recent discharge levels the consequencies of which he considered were being exaggerated.
Mr Gray – Reported on the CALC conference on MRWS held on the previous Saturday which was well-attended by ~70 parish councillors and Clerks from Cumbria. He felt that his previous view that potential Host Communities (ie Parish Councils) were not being given the prominence they should have was in fact reinforced by discussions at the conference - a view that the Nuclear Group has also highlighted.
9. Planning Matters. None.
Cumbria CC – Consultation on Recycling Centres.
Cumbria CC – Consultation on Cumbria CC budget proposals.
It was agreed that the Chairman and The Clerk would provide a response on both papers.
Infrastructure Planning Commission – Information that they had received an application for development consent for a new-build Reactor adjacent to the Sellafield site. No action required.
11. Public Participation. There were no members of the public present at this point.
12. Questions Councillors wish to raise.
Mr Jacob – Reported that work would start on installing the drains for Beck Garage shortly and that repairs to the Library were in hand.
13. In Camera. None.
There being no other business the meeting was closed at 8.50pm.