Parish Council Minutes - August 2010

  • Minutes of meeting held 11th August 2010

    in the Supper Room Gosforth Public Hall - 7.00pm

     

    Present : Dr Hutson; Messrs. Gray, Jacob, McKinley (Chairman), Davies.

    Mrs Gallery-Strong attended during Item 5 to update the council on the Playing Field project, and Item 7a.

    1. Apologies: MrNorman, Mr Wright, Mrs Balmer (All business commitments).

    2. Declarations of interest . None

    3. Chairman's opening remarks. The Chairman said that this month had seemed even more busy than usual. Meetings had been held with: J Falkner regarding the involvement of the Parish Council with the Burial Ground; The Joint CALC Executive on Disposal of Nuclear Waste; R Stewart on possible joint working with Ponsonby PC; 5 Rivers Group; The Village Care Group on carpark improvements; Sustrans on the Cycleway; and The Nursery on which construction had now started.

    4. Minutes of the previous meeting held on 14th July 2010. These were approved (Proposed Mr Gray, seconded Mr Jacob). Also approved were the Notes for the Record of meetings of a) the Village Care Group on 22 nd July 2010 and b) The Chairman & Clerk with J Falkner on Burial Ground matters on 2 nd August 2010.

    5. Actions arising from the minutes.

    1. Generate Risk Assessment procedure. Action – Mr McKinley, The Clerk

    Action ongoing.

    2. Confirm Honesty Box siting requirements. Action – Carpark Group

    Action complete – Siting requires approval from Copeland BC which will be raised at a site meeting on 19 th August.

    3. Negotiate with solicitors ref Playing Field Trust. Action – The Clerk

    Action ongoing – confirmation had been received that Registration of the land would take place as part of the handover.

    4. Re-examine and format ‘Business List’. Action – Dr Hutson, Mr Davies

    Action discontinued – Dr Hutson & Mr Davies would report back to the council when more information was available.

    5. Progress estimates for carpark floodlighting. Action – The Clerk.

    Action ongoing – awaiting information from Copeland BC.

    6 . Discuss draft Business Plan for transfer of carpark with Copeland BC.

    Action – The Clerk & Mr McKinley.

    Action ongoing – Confirmation of a meeting with Copeland BC on 23 rd August had been received.

    7. Liaise with Solicitor ref Gravel Pit lease. Action – The Clerk.

    Action complete – Lease had been signed off by both parties and had been returned to the Solicitor. The Clerk was asked to send a copy of the first rental payment (when it was received) to the Land Registry for their records.

    8. Contact County Highways for permission to repair Gilgrass Hill ditch. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete – waiting for inspector’s report.

    9. Arrange a demonstration of the CCTV system, provide a detailed cost estimate, and progress alternative options. Action – Mr Jacob

    Action ongoing.

    10. Discuss council co-operation with Ponsonby PC.

    Action – Mr McKinley, The Clerk.

    Action complete – There was general goodwill on both sides to co-operate further. It was thought that this should be a step-by-step process to allow time for any wrinkles to be sorted out. As a first step a draft Memorandum of Understanding would be drawn up for comment.

    11. Draft reply ref Copeland BC LDF. Action – Mr McKinley, The Clerk.

    Action complete

    12. Review Toilet Cleaning contract. Action – Mr Norman, The Clerk.

    Action ongoing.

    13. Arrange an assessment of Toilet electrics. Action – Mr Norman.

    Action ongoing.

    14. Arrange an assessment of Toilet plumbing. Action – Mr Norman.

    Action ongoing.

    15. Provide Safety Signs for Toilets. Action – The Clerk.

    Action complete

    16. Arrange meeting of Village Care group. Action – The Clerk.

    Action complete – See Note for Record of 22 nd July meeting.

    17. Generate draft letter of reply to CORWM. Action ongoing. Action – Mr McKinley, The Clerk.

    18. Liaise with Mrs Gallery-Strong ref Gosforth News production. Action – Mr McKinley

    Action completedraft had been circulated for comment.

    See also Item 7a below.

    19. Inform LDNPA of Hinnings House planning decision. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete

    20. Respond to CCC Transport Strategy. Action – All councillors.

    Action ongoing.

    21. Assess New-build Reactor Design document and advise the council. Action – Mr Gray.

    Action completeit was agreed that there was little point in responding at this time.

    22. Put info ref National Trust Apprenticeships in Library & What’s On. Action complete Action – The Clerk.

    23. Apply for Play Equipment funding from N Clarkson fund. Action – The Clerk.

    Action completeDr Hutson advised that an applicaton should also be made to the Neighbourhood Forum (Mrs Gallery-Strong to action).

    24. Discuss Maysons invoice with Playing Fields Committee. Action – Mr Norman, The Clerk

    Action complete – Work on the Playing Field could not be completed until the ‘Completion Certificate’ was signed off. This was proving to be a drawn out bureaucratic process involving United Utilities, the County Council and the various contractors. Maysons were aware of the situation.

    25. Put ‘Disability Advice’ in Library. Action – The Clerk.

    Action complete.

    26. Assess NDA documents and DVD. Action – Mr McKinley.

    Action ongoing.

    27. Clarify with J Falkner any Burial Ground issues. Action – Mr McKinley, The Clerk.

    Action complete – Se Note for the Record of 2 nd August meeting.

    28. Respond to solicitor ref Playing Field Trust. Action - The Clerk.

    Action complete – See Item 5.3 above.

    29. Write to CCC ref closure of Santon Bridge road. Action – The Clerk.

    Action complete – no reply to date.

    30. Ask Mrs Pritt to advise the council on funding for rural signs. Action ongoing. Action – Mr Norman.

     

    Actions arising from the Village Care Group meeting on 22 nd July.

    a) Contact BT to repair and paint the telephone box. Action – The Clerk

    Action ongoing.

    b) Obtain suitable footpath maps from LDNPA. Action – Mr McKinley

    Action in hand.

    c) Arrange meeting with Copeland BC regarding improvements to the carpark. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete – Meeting arranged for 19 th August.

    Actions arising from the meeting with J Falkner on 2 nd August.

    a)     Arrange meeting with Seascale PC ref Burial Ground. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete – Meeting arranged for 24 th August.

     

    6. Financial Matters. The monthly financial statement was approved

    (Proposed Dr Hutson, seconded Mr Jacob)

     

    7. Main Business.

    a) Parish Newsletter. An initial draft had been circulated for comment. It was felt that it should be edited to cover 1 side of A4 with the other side being used for information on councillors, contact details and photographs etc. Mr Ancell had agreed to do the editing. As Mr Ancell was not present The Chairman said he would see him and update him accordingly.

    b) Wasdale Road Streetlights. Mr Gray raised the issue where a streetlight which was attached to a resident’s property had been removed at the residents request, to enable repair work to be carried out on the property, and subsequently the County Council were refused permission (by the resident) to reinstate it. It was considered that, following a site inspection by councillors, a streetlight in that area was essential for the safety of pedestrians, considering the absence of any footpath. In discussion between the Utility’s engineers and Mr Gray, problems with obtaining an electrical supply, and the siting of a new pole if that became necessary, were highlighted. As Mr Gray’s attempts to get the residents to reconsider their objection had proved fruitless, The Clerk was asked to write to the County Council to provide a replacement streetlight by whatever means they could.

     

    8. Planning Matters. Bolton Head Park – New garage. No Objection.

     

    9. Correspondence.

    CBC – Response to complaint. Noted – Since the correspondence there had been only a partial response to requests for information. The situation would be monitored and if necessary the complaint resurrected.

    CBC – Closure of Magistrates Courts. Agreed that this was a further erosion of local services and an objection should be lodged.

    LD Local Access Forum. Noted – The council chose not to attend.

    CCC – Annual meeting with PC’s 22nd September, C’Moor. Noted.

    CBC – Licensing Policy. Mr Davies to assess.

    CBC – LSP Conference. Noted.

    CBC – Survey of green spaces. The Clerk had responded.

    CALC – Employer leaflets. Noted.

    GDF Briefing paper. Sent out to all councillors – no action required at this time.

     CALC – Review of Fire & Rescue service. Agreed that the council should provide a response highlighting the increased difficulties caused in rural areas when services are centralised and drawing particular attention to the essential service provided locally based services eg. by retained firemen.

    Police Report. The Clerk read a report e-mailed to him from PCW Hoggarth giving the July figures. The total number of incidents was 10, of which 3 were Anti-social Behaviour (Drunk in The Square), 2 Road Traffic incidents, 3 reports of people using guns to shoot crows, and 2 domestic fracas.

     

    10 Public Participation. There were no members of the public present at this point.

     

    11 Questions Councillors wish to raise.

    Dr Hutson – a) Reported that the sub-station and adjacent area was very overgrown. The Clerk was askd to contact United Utilities to have it tidied up.

    b) Informed the meeting that Mr R Toft (former County Councillor for Gosforth) had died recently.

    c) Reported visibility problems on Wasdale Road caused by a waste skip which had been in situ for a long time. Mr Gray volunteered to make enquiries.

    Mr Davies – Asked if there had been any feedback regarding the Bleng Bridge work. The Clerk said he was still awaiting a reply to his letter.

     

    12 Representatives Reports

    The Clerk & Chairman – Reported on the CALC Joint Executive meeting of July 26 th. They were still concerned that the Partnership was going its own way and, in particular, side-stepping any potential Host Community, but it had been confirmed that the NDA paper on Site Selection would not go out for consultation until early in 2011, by which time the results of the BGS survey should have been published and the overall picture clearer.

    Mrs Gallery-Strong – Gave an update on the Playing Field Equipment project. The various funding streams were looking positive with the potential to provide increased scope and variety of equipment. She had arranged for 4 suppliers to provide designs and estimates and an ‘Exhibition Day’ had been arranged for 4th September where the public would be asked to indicate their preferences. A number of young mothers had agreed to assist with advertising and publicising the event. She had included in the design brief that there was a strong desire to ensure that the completed project would be as inobtrusive as possible and reflect the rural nature of the present Playing Field. A paper had been produced by Mrs Gallery-Strong which outlined the commitments the Parish Council (and councillors) would have to make, both in terms of time, in controlling the capital spending, and also future budgeting eg. For increased insurance and safety inspections. The Chairman thanked Mrs Gallery-Strong for the tremendous amount of work she had done to date.

    Mr Jacob – Tabled a copy of the Public Hall annual accounts which had been sent off to the Charity Commission.

    Mr McKinley – Reported on the 5-Rivers Group meeting when he and The Clerk had made clear that they would not support the present format for ‘Locality Working’ and if this resulted in what was perceived as an additional tier of bureaucracy, they would advise the Parish Council to withdraw from the Group. They also pointed out that the Group had been formed originally to co-operate in presenting a united front on issues of common interest. Initially this was to restore better rural road services with the employment of ‘Linemen’ but the County Council had scuppered the whole venture by setting up (at great expense) the Highways Stewards. Apart from this one attempt there has been no action by the Group on any of the other matters which are, or should be, of common interest eg. Nuclear New-build, Nuclear Waste Disposal, Grid Transmission, Flooding etc.

     

    13 In Camera. None.

    There being no other business the meeting was closed at 9.00pm.

     

    Back to main page