Parish Council Minutes - February 2010

  • Minutes of meeting held 10th February 2010 in the Supper Room Gosforth Public Hall - 7.00pm

    Present : Messrs. Ancell, Gray, Davies, Jacob, McKinley (Chairman), Norman; Mrs Balmer, Mrs Gallery-Strong.

    1. Apologies: Dr Hutson; Mr Wright.

     2. Declarations of interest . None

     3. Chairman's opening remarks. The Chairman said that the past month had been extremely busy. Detailed responses had been made to the LDNPA Site Allocation consultation and HMG consultation on new-build nuclear power stations in the area. He had attended a meeting of the Nursery Group and reported that the project was proceeding well. He had also attended 2 of the Parish Plan Group meetings and praised the efforts of those involved. At the request of the Chairman of the School Governors he and The Clerk had assisted the School in a daffodil planting session.

    4. Minutes of the previous meeting held on 14th January 2010. Also minutes of the Public Meeting and the Special Council meeting held on 20 th and 28 th January 2010 respectively. These were all approved (Proposed Mrs Balmer, seconded Mr Gray).

     5. Actions

    1. Generate Risk Assessment procedure. Action – Mr McKinley, The Clerk Action ongoing – This cannot be completed until the Trusteeship of the Playing Field is finalised.

    2. Provide suggestions for Listed Buildings Register. Action – Mr Norman Action ongoing.

    3. Consult National Trust ref Honesty Box. Action – The Clerk Action ongoing – The Clerk now had a contact.

    4. Negotiate with solicitors ref Playing Field Trust. Action – The Clerk Action ongoing – discussions continue with Solicitors. The Clerk had agreed with the solicitors that they should write suitable letters to the Charity Commission and the Playing Fields Committee.

    5. Copy LDNPA Charter to all councillors. Action – The Clerk Action ongoing- awaiting final version from LDNPA. The Chairman said he would try and find out why the Charter had not been printed.

    6. Re-examine and format ‘Business List’. Action – Dr Hutson, Mr Davies, Mrs Balmer. Action ongoing – Mr Davies updated the members on what had been done to date and that a form was being developed to enable businesses to ratify the details before the list was released.

    7. Prepare Action Plan etc. ref new Play Equipment. Action – Mrs Gallery-Strong Action complete – Mrs Gallery-Strong gave an update on the situation. Funding applications had been (or were in the process of being) sent to Copeland Borough Council, Councillor D Moore (for application from the Community Fund), the Cumbria Police Fund and the Cumbria Waste Management Environment Trust Fund. Others eg Neighbourhood Forum and LDNPA would have to wait until April (new financial year). It was agreed that this Action would be removed, Mrs Gallery-Strong reporting to the council as and when necessary.

    8. Discuss with Copeland BC possible floodlighting on carpark. Action – The Clerk Action complete – The Clerk had met Mr Toner (CBC) who said that there was an embargo on providing additional assets. However he offered to prepare several cost options if the council wished to proceed itself. These were awaited.

    9. Take up 7-Acres site licensing issues with LDNPA and Copeland BC. Action – Mr McKinley (LDNPA), Mr Jacob ( Copeland BC) Action complete – Discussed under Item 8a below.

    10. Arrange contract for Public Hall stairlift. vcv Action – The Clerk Action complete

    11. Invite Chair of Governors and Headmaster to meet the Parish Council. Action complete – Reply awaited. Action – The Clerk

    12. Pay donation to Air Ambulance fund. Liaise with Mr Gould for information to go in web-site and What’s on. Action – The Clerk Action complete.

    13. Draft response to DECC on Nuclear New-build. Action – Mr McKinley,The Clerk Action complete.

    14. Copy note from Mr Wright ref MRWS Partnership meeting to all members. Action complete. Action – The Clerk

    15. Copy note of St Mary’s Churchyard meeting to all members. Action – The Clerk Action complete – Discussed under Item 7a below.

    16. Investigate provision of salt bins with Cumbria CC. Action – The Clerk Action complete – Discussed under Item 9.8 below.

    17. Re-open toilets. Action – Mr Norman Action complete – Burst pipes now repaired.

    18. Write to MP ref salting of pavements. Action – The Clerk Action complete.

    6. Financial matters. The monthly statement was approved (Proposed Mr Jacob, seconded Mr Norman).

    7. Main Business

    a) Parish Plan update. Mr Gray updated the meeting on progress. A draft version of the plan had been assembled and was now in the process of being polished up. The final format has still to be decided and stakeholders would be contacted for their views when the final draft was ready. It was agreed that formatting advice should be sought from Mr Downham (ACT).Mr Gray asked for a copy of the final letter which was sent to LDNPA in response to the Allocation of Sites consultation.

    8. Planning Matters

    a) 7-Acres caravan site – New layout and Clubhouse.

    After discussion it was agreed to raise no objections but assurance would be sought that the toilet/shower accommodation was adequate for the new increased tenancy.

    b) The Clerk reported that approval had been given to High Thisleton (New septic tank system), Rainors Farm (Re-siting of Yurt), 84 Meadowfield (Extension), The Nursery (Continued use of existing portakabins and erection of a new replacement building).

    9. Correspondence.

    Police Report. Noted – 11 incidents had been reported for Gosforth for January. 1 Anti-social behaviour (drink related), 4 RTA’s, 2 Crimes (1 burglary, 1 assault), 1 Domestic incident, 3 Miscellaneous.

    UCLAN lectures. Noted – The Chairman and Clerk would attend the session on Communities.

    CALC response ref National Park consultation. Noted that CALC had advised HMG this was not the way to consult on issues of this sort. No attempt had been made to involve the parish councils.

     CORWM Draft Work Programme. Noted.

     The Clerk magazine. Passed to the Chairman.

     OPM Notice of receipt of comments on new-build. Noted.

     RWE update on Kirksanton & Braystones sites. Noted.

     N Clarkson – Salt Bins. Agreed to ask for extra bins for The Carpark, Meadowfield, Denton Park, Ellerslie Park, Hardingill and Wellington. These would be in addition to that already situated near the top of Leagate Hill.

    LDNPA Core Strategy Independent examination. Noted.

    BT payphone Wellington. Agreed to write to BT saying that the Parish Council was not interested in taking over the telephone box at this time but wished to see it remain in service as this was the wish of the local residents.

    CALC – Royal Garden Party. Noted – Nobody wished to attend.

    CBC – Gender Equality Doc. Noted.

    CALC - Meeting with CBC March 8 th Noted.

    e-mail to all councillors:

    1. Response OPM ref new build comments

    2. CALC MRWS paper

    3. Flood recovery

    4. CRUG Minutes

    5. Cumbria Courier

    6. Transcripts new-build site meetings

    7. 5-rivers group minutes

    8. Dispatches

    9. CALC circular Feb

    10. CALC 2010 training programme

     

    10. Public Participation. There were no members of the public present at this point.

    11. Questions Councillors wish to raise.

    Mr Davies – Commented that lack of adequate publicity of the Public Meeting, called to discuss the Allocation of Sites for building development, had probably affected the low turnout. It was agreed, but the Chairman pointed out that the tight time-scale within which the council had to respond to the consultation, limited what could have been done. Mr Norman suggested that many people in the village were on e-mail and this could be used as a source of future contact, although it was not clear how the council could obtain the respective addresses. Mr Ancell said that he could include any newsletter or meeting advertisement in the 350 copies of the Whitehaven News which his staff delivered. It was agreed that this subject was worthy of further discussion.

    Mr Ancell – Reported that he had received adverse comments regarding the speed of farm vehicles. It appeared that tractor drivers did not make allowances for pedestrian safety. This would be taken up with PCW Hoggarth.

    Mr Norman – Asked about progress on the rental agreement for the Gravel Pit site. The Clerk said that his attempts to acquire a copy of a similar agreement from Seascale PC had not borne fruit and the council would have to resort to the use of a solicitor. He would arrange a suitable meeting and keep Mr Norman informed.

    Mr Jacob – a) Tabled the minutes of the last Public Hall Committee meeting.

    b) – Reported that there had been no progress on the drainage ditch on Gillgrass Hill. The Clerk said he would have to raise this again with Cumbria Highways.

    12. Representatives Reports. The Clerk said that he had been in touch with Copeland BC regarding the transfer of the carpark. The Parish Council was required to generate a business plan as the next part of the process which he would do with assistance from the Chairman.

    13. In Camera. None.

    There being no other business the meeting was closed at 8.50pm.

      

    Back to main page