Parish Council Minutes - December 2008

  • Minutes of meeting held 10th December 2008 in the Supper Room Gosforth Public Hall - 7.00pm

    Present : Dr Hutson; Messrs. McKinley (Chairman), Ancell, Gray, Jacob, Newbold, Wright.

    1. Apologies: Mr Bailey (Domestic), Mr Norman (Work), Mrs Balmer (Domestic).

    2. Declarations of interest . None.

    3. Chairman's opening remarks. None

    4. Minutes of the previous meeting held on 12th November 2008. These were approved (Proposed MrAncell, seconded Mr Gray).

    5. Actions arising from the minutes.

      1. Write a letter of thanks to Mrs Pennington. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete.

      2. Send P/Hall Annual Return to Charity Commission in correct format.

    Action – Mr Jacob

    Action ongoing – Mr Jacob said he had spoken to the Charity Commission but would confirm with The Clerk that the accounts were now satisfactory.

      3. Complete Copeland BC housing questionnaire.Action – Mr Jacob

    Action complete.

      4. Liaise with CALC and Copeland BC ref transfer of carpark.

    Action – The Clerk

    Action ongoing – The Clerk had sent copies of correspondence to CALC who were to contact Copeland BC.(Letter has been sent by CALC to CBC Legal Dept.)

      5. Draft Model Publication Scheme for Freedom of Information. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete – See Item 7a below.

      6. Inform Copeland BC of the 2009-10 precept. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete.

     7 . Check relevant costs of telephone charges. Action – The Clerk

    Action ongoing – Mr Gray said he would forward details of options to The Clerk.

     8 . Copy amended Dr Jackson letter to all councillors. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete – copy also sent to Dr Jackson with a covering letter saying that the council would raise issues regarding Copeland BC’s supporting documentation on its expression of interest.

     9 . Generate draft newsletter. Action – Mr McKinley, The Clerk

    Action ongoing - to be completed in time for distribution with the Parish Plan questionnaire (See Item 7b below).

     10. Obtain comments on NDA consultation document from Dr Hutson. Action – Mr McKinley

    Action complete – comments had been collated and sent on to NDA.

     11. Check the availability of address labels from CRHT . Action – The Clerk

    Action complete – labels had been received and data protection documentation dealt with by The Clerk.

     12. Respond to LDNPA ref Row Mill planning application. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete. (See also Item 8c below)

     13. Advise on changes to the Code of Conduct. Action – The Clerk

    Action ongoing.

     14. a)Check out insurance and replacement issues ref War Memorial.

    Action ongoing. Action – The Clerk

    b) Arrange for photographs of War Memorial inscriptions. Action – Mr Wright

    Action discontinued as records were in St Mary’s Church.

     15. Clarify definition of ‘Main Traffic Routes with Cumbria Highways.

    Action – The Clerk

    Action complete – the definition appeared to rule out any road which was not a dead-end, but it was decided to invite Mr Dell to meet the council.

     16. Assess Locality Working Report. Action – Mr McKinley, The Clerk

    Action complete – Both parties agreed it was unreadable and gobbledegook. The Clerk said that at the recent 3-tier meeting the Copeland officer who was now responsible for progressing the scheme, said that she wanted to fully consult with parish councils before going any further, and would be contacting councils to arrange a meeting.

     17. Inform Copeland BC of Mrs Pennington’s resignation. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete.

     18. Check with Copeland BC ref cleaning of Wheatsheaf frontage. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete – the Copeland Estates manager had been asked to take action.

     19. Contact Mr Browning ref Scalderskew Beck bridge. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete – Mr Browning was progressing the project.

     20. Write to the Chief Constable ref. the use of armed police. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete – a reply had been received and the Chief Constable had delegated a Superintendent to clarify matters with the CNP and discuss with the Parish Council.

    21. Contact LDNPA ref. potential development at Whitecroft. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete but no reply to date.

    6. Financial Matters. The monthly report was approved – Proposed Dr Hutson, seconded Mr Jacob.

    7. Main Business.

      a) Resolution - To adopt the model publication scheme made under the Freedom of Information Act (As tabled by The Clerk and copied to all councillors). This was agreed unanimously. The Clerk said that he had drafted a schedule to go with the scheme and would discuss this with the Chairman before copying to all councillors.

    b) Parish Plan progress incl. Newsletter. Mr Gray said that the finishing touches were being made to the questionnaire with intended distribution for early January. The Chairman said that he would ensure that the newsletter was ready for that date.

    c) Geological Disposal Facility progress. Mr Gray noted that the County Council had now expressed an interest. It remained to be seen how this would fit in with the Copeland BC bid. Mr Jacob had met the new owners of Sellafield who expressed a wish to work with the local community including parish councils. Accordingly he had asked Dr I Hudson to meet Gosforth PC.

    8. Planning Matters

     a) Possible development at Whitecroft. See Item 5.21 above.

    b) Fell View Park – Appeal decision. The Clerk reported that the appeal had been lost and planning permission was required for the additional 7 units. Unless the applicant wished to take High Court action this was the end of the matter. 2 letters of appreciation of the Parish Council’s support during the appeal had been received from Fell View residents.

    c) Row Mill – The Clerk reported that the application had been withdrawn.

    d) Hallsenna Polytunnel - The Clerk said he had received the decision of the Copeland BC planning committee which disbarred the landowner from carrying out business from the property and required the replacement of some fruit trees to act as a screen.

      9. Correspondence.

     Your NHS - publication. Noted.

    Burial Ground – Letter. Agreed to take part in the 4-way talks suggested. Dr Hutson & Mr Jacob would represent the council.

     Police Forum – 14 th January 2009, Lowca. Noted that this coincided with the Parish Council meeting and The Clerk would not be able to attend.

     NHS Trust – ‘Closer to Home’ update. Noted.

    10 Public Participation. There were no members of the public present at this point.

    11 Matters Councillors wish to raise.

     Mr Ancell – Reported the problems on the carpark during the recent icy conditions.

    It appeared that the area had been salted by Copeland BC. It was agreed that Mr Parker should be thanked for making the arrangements but that the Parish Council should take no action.

    Mr Newbold – Said that he had been asked about the provision of allotments. The Clerk said that it was within the power of the Parish Council to provide allotments but he would clarify what conditions applied to a need to provide.

    Mr Jacob – Reported that trees in the vicinity of the sub-station footpath were in contact with overhead supply cables. Dr Hutson volunteered to check whether the trees were within private land or land occupied by Copeland BC. He would report to The Clerk who would then take appropriate action.

    12 Representatives Reports

     5-Rivers Group – The Clerk said that the last session was another workshop designed to formulate the composite plan. VAC representatives took away the results for presentation at the next meeting.

    Risk Assessment Training – Mr McKinley referred to the note which he had sent out which gave an outline of the council’s responsibilities. It was agreed that he and The Clerk should seek advice from a solicitor regarding the implications of being Trustees and Management Trustees for the Public Hall and the Playing Fields respectively. The issue of Risk Assessment should be put on the next available agenda for further discussion and action.

     West Cumbria Strategic Partnership – Mr McKinley said that LDNPA had been asked to nominate a representative for Forum meetings and he had been delegated. He had agreed, pending the support of the Parish Council. It was agreed that his presence at the Forum would be advantageous to the best interests of Gosforth and parish councils generally.

    13 In Camera. None.

     The Clerk informed the council that the January meeting would have to be held at another venue as the Supper Room would not be available due to the Pantomime production. He agreed to book St Mary’s Hall if this was available.

      There being no other business the meeting was closed at 8.35pm.

    Back to main page