Parish Council Minutes - August 2011

  •  

    Minutes of meeting held 10th August 2011 in the Supper Room Gosforth Public Hall - 7.00pm

     

    Present : Dr Hutson; Messrs. Ancell, Gray, Jacob, McKinley (Chairman), Norman, Rae, Wright; Mrs Jackson. + 1 member of the public.

    1. Apologies: Mrs Gallery-Strong

    2. Declarations of interest . None

    3. Chairman's opening remarks. The Chairman said that he was conscious that some recent meetings had gone on far too long and asked for support from all members in keeping questions and comments short and to the point.

    4. Minutes of the previous meeting held on 13th July 2010. These were approved (Proposed Mr Gray, seconded Mr Ancell)

    5. Actions arising from the minutes.

     

    1. Council Communications. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete – See Item 7e below.

    2. Follow up costs with Mr Garner for alternative scheme for Carpark lighting. Action ongoing. Action – The Clerk

    3. Reconvene meeting of Footpath Group. Action – Mr Wright

    Action complete – See Item 7e below.

    4. Pursue co-option possibilities. Action – Mr McKinley

    Action complete – See Item 7d below.

    5. Put Queen’s Jubilee on August agenda. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete – See Item 7b below.

    6. Draft response ref Libraries future. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete – to be copied to all councillors.

    7. Get costings for fence and gate on Playing Field. Action – Mr Norman

    Action ongoing - Information was being sought from Mr Millard.

    8. Arrange for plinth for Honesty Box. Action – Mr Norman

    Action ongoing – but in hand.

    9. Put Daycare Centre on August agenda. Action – The Clerk

    Consider suitable options for further co-operation with the Blengdale Centre. Action complete – See Item 7c below. Action – All members

    10. Bring comments/recommendations on Future of Forests to August meeting. Action – All members

    Action transferred to Mr Wright & The Clerk to provide a response.

    11. Respond with support for Leiston-cum Sizewell proposals. Action – The Clerk Action complete – CALC had also registered support.

    12. Follow up on Broadband champion suggestions. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete – Mr Mike Andrew (Swallow Barn) had volunteered to be the Gosforth ‘champion’ and his details had been passed on to CALC.

    13. Respond to Cumbria Highways on A595 bypass proposals. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete.

    14. Respond to LDNPA ref Roundstone. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete.

    15. Respond to LDNPA ref 9 Meadowfield. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete.

    16. Pass information on shared sewers to Mr Gould for inclusion in What’s On. Action complete. Action – The Clerk

    17. Approach landowners ref Red Admiral – Steelfield Hall footpath. Action – Mr Norman

    Action ongoing – Mr Norman said that he had discussed the matter with the main landowner (Farmer) who was in agreement in principle but would require fencing (for the security of his stock and protection of the public) and possible moving of field gates. He had yet to see the other landowner (Mr Shubrook). It was suggested that as soon as practicable a sketch plan of the proposed footpath should be generated which would facilitate further discussion.

    18. Raise matter of 20mph limit with Mr Melville. Action – The Clerk

    Action complete – A reply was awaited.

    19. Ask Cumbria Highways to upgrade yellow lines outside Lakeland Habit. Action complete – A reply was awaited. Action – The Clerk

    NOTE : Since the meeting Mr Melville has confirmed that he has requested that Action 5.19 (above) be included on the County Highways repair schedule, and that he would like to meet the council to discuss Action 5.18. The Clerk will make the necessary arrangements.

     

    6. Financial Matters.

    Monthly Financial Report. In response to questions The Clerk said that the arrangements for PAYE were now in place, although detailed instructions from HMRC were still awaited. The payments of invoices from Parish Council funds for the new Play Equipment would be compensated as and when the agreed outside funding was received. The situation was under continual surveillance to ensure the Parish Council budget was not exceeded. The statement was then approved (Proposed Mr Wright, seconded Mr Jacob).

    Note: Since the meeting a claim for Income Tax has been received from HMRC and subsequently paid. The Clerk has paid a similar amount into the Parish Council account in compensation. It is hoped that as the system settles down this ‘double transfer’ can be avoided.

     

     7. Main Business

     

    a) Response to consultation on Forests (Info from G Browning sent last month). After some discussion an action was put on Mr Wright and The Clerk to send a response.

     

    b) Queen’s Jubilee. The Clerk said that he had amended the original letter to reflect comments made at the last meeting but required contact details of the various organisations. Mrs Jackson offered to provide these. It was agreed that an initial meeting would be arranged for all interested parties on 21 st or 28 th September (Date to be confirmed by The Clerk).

     

    c) Daycare Centre. Various suggestions were put forward for consideration concerning funding support for the Centre. Mr Gray mentioned the Rotary Club and the possibility of using their equipment for fund-raising at Xmastime, assuming council members would participate. He agreed to examine the possibilities with Dr Hutson. There was general support for Mrs Jackson’s view that the lead for all fund-raising should be taken by the Abbeyfield Group. Mr Jacob offered to invite and host a meeting of all interested parties. It was felt that the Abbeyfield Group should contact all other Parish Councils in their catchment area for assistance, and to aid this process it was agreed ( Proposed Dr Hutson, seconded Mrs Jackson) for a donation of £250 to be made to kickstart the fund. Mr Jacob reiterated his offer to join any group and it was agreed that the Chairman would meet Mrs Hallett for further discussion.

     

    d) Co-option. The Chairman said that Mr Walton had been recommended to him as someone who was keen to get involved in parish matters and who he had subsequently met. He had no hesitation in proposing Mr Walton for co-option, which was seconded by Mr Rae, and agreed unanimously. The Clerk would write a letter of invitation and deal with the formalities.

     

    e) Council Appointments. The Chairman said that now there was a full complement of members those Groups/Committees which had vacancies could be filled. Accordingly Mr Rae Joined the Finance Committee, Mr Ancell joined the Village Care/Carpark Group and the CCTV Group, and together with Mr Walton would join the Footpaths/Common Land Group. Mr McKinley would join

    Dr Hutson on the Neighbourhood Forum. Regarding Council Communications, Mrs Jackson had volunteered to lead this group in liaison with the Chairman, which need not be confined to Parish Council members and would co-opt other contributors as necessary.

    The Clerk was asked to distribute a list of all appointments. He was also asked to write a letter of appreciation to Mr Davies for his past assistance on the council.

     

    8. Representative's reports

     

    a) Meeting with Seascale PC (Chairman & Clerk). The Chairman said that there was nothing substantial to report from the meeting but he had been surprised when comments had filtered back which suggested that Gosforth PC was not fully committed to the Cycleway Project. It was felt that this was a result of misinterpretation and misunderstanding,being confused with Gosforth’s non-representation on the 5-Rivers Group. As far as he was aware the Cycleway project was a joint Seascale-Gosforth PC’s project, always had been, still is, and was nothing to do with 5-Rivers Group – further evidence if any was necessary that this Group still didn’t understand why Gosforth PC withdrew its membership.

    b) Meeting with Ennerdale & Kinniside PC (Chairman & Clerk). This meeting was confined to MRWS matters and the contribution E&K PC was making to the debate. There was a general sharing of ideas and opinions and support was given to E&K PC in trying to elucidate answers to key questions from the MRWS Partnership.

     

    c) Site meeting Bleng Forest (Mr Wright, The Clerk). Mr Wright thought that the proposed scheme was an excellent one which, if implemented, would greatly enhance the amenity value of the Bleng Forest. It became apparent that a local parish project would stand the most chance of success by attracting a wider range of funding than either the Forestry Commission or LDNPA could muster. It was recognised that there were significant risks in going down this route and this aspect needed to be kept in mind to ensure the Parish Council was not over-committed in resource terms. The Clerk said he was awaiting some further information from Rachel Graham (Community Fund Manager). A further meeting would then be arranged between the Forestry Commission, LDNPA and the Parish Council to move the project on. In the meantime pressure would be kept up on LDNPA to reinstate some form of river crossing – temporary if necessary.

     

    d) Site meeting School Parking issues (Chairman & Clerk). The Clerk had circulated a note for the record which will be attached to these minutes. Discussion revealed a wide range of views ranging from ‘not necessary’ to ‘anything is better than what we have at present’. Mr Rae said that as presented the paper described solutions without assessing the risks and a proper Risk Assessment should be carried out. The Chairman agreed to go back to the Chair of School Governors and suggest that a Risk Assessment should be enacted.

     

    e) Cycleway/ Parish Plan. Mr Gray said thatinformation on the Cycleway had been sent to all members by The Clerk. Progress on the project had moved forward and now had an official number (727) and some County Council funding had been secured.

     

    Regarding the Parish Plan he had distributed project suggestion forms at the last meeting but had not had any returns. The Clerk said he would resend the form with an appropriate action applied.

     

     

    9. Planning Matters

    a) Revised materials plan, 1 Spout House garage. The council considered that the revised material plan did not adequately reflect the construction of the original dwelling ( Slate-roofed sandstone)and the objection should be upheld.

     

    b) 3 Forestry Houses extension. No objection.

     

    c) Peel Place, Store. No objection but Mr Jacob would ensure that all Hallsenna neighbours were aware of the development.

     

    d) The Clerk reported that Copeland BC had given approval for 2 Cross Lanes extension.

     

     

    10. Correspondence.

     Cumbria NHS Partnership with Newcastle. Noted.

     CALC Copeland Exec meeting note. Sent on to all members.

     RDPE Annual Report. Noted.

    Letter Mr& Mrs Roscoe ref Roundstones planning meeting.

    Noted with appreciation.

     Boon Day, Public Hall. Sent on to all members.

     Cycleway note. Sent on to all members.

     Bleng Bridge removal Sent on to all members.

     Copeland Community Fund Sent on to all members.

     Letter from Bleasdales Solicitors. Noted that HSBC were being pressed for information on Land Registration of the Playing Field.

     CALC County Executive meeting note. Noted that Broadband issues were being actively addressed.

     NALC – Note on National Planning Policy. Noted.

     HMG – Public Sevices White Paper issued. Noted.

     

    11 Public Participation. Mr Hosfield said that the Woodland Trust had young trees available for commemorative planting; this may be appropriate in relation to the Jubilee celebrations. He also asked that action be taken to cut back the overhanging hedge on Whitegate. The Chairman replied to a further question on MRWS by saying this was being actively pursued by the Nuclear Group and a report would be made to the full council in the near future.

    Note: Since the meeting The Clerk had been assured by the property owner that the hedge would be cut back.

     

    12 Questions Councillors wish to raise.

     

    Dr Hutson and Mr Jacob - Asked whether the newly positioned Milk Dispenser had planning approval. Mr Ancell said that he would ask Mr Mawson (the owner) what planning discussions had taken place.

    Dr Hutson - Asked that a letter of thanks be sent to United Utilities for their prompt action in dealing with a blocked sewer on Denton park.

     

    Mr Jacob – Reported that the Annual Return for the Public Hall accounts had been completed and the Charity Commission informed accordingly. A copy would be sent to The Clerk.

     

    Mr Gray – Asked whether the Gravel Pit arrangements were working. The Clerk assured him they were, rental payments had been made.

     

    13 In Camera. None.

     

    There being no other business the meeting was closed at 9.25pm.

    Back to main page